NBI Talkback Challenge #4: Gaming Sin-ulations

Zyngor | Friday, May 29, 2015
The final Talkback Challenge as part of the 2015 NBI extravaganza posed an interesting questionnaire to wrap up the month, thanks to Joseph Skyrim. Essentially, we'll be running through a question inspired by each sin, and see how much people want to hurt me (and possibly immolate) by the end.

LustDo you enjoy games more if they have scantily clad and “interestingly proportioned” avatars? Do you like playing as one of these avatars? Why or why not?
I don't particularly take the character models into concern when deciding if I want to play a game. Generally my choice of games, such as MMOs, are those that are either free-to-play (F2P), or cheap enough that I have been able to pick up. That being said, it does not particularly bother me if the male or female avatars seem a bit...expressed in certain areas. My choices in character creation are rather dispersive from game to game, especially if I plan on having multiple characters.

Take, for example, a game like TERA - a F2P Korean MMO that indeed utilizes extra curves in some areas, paired with fairly skimmed outfits. I knew this before playing around with the game some, and it did not particularly bother me to start playing a female Sorceress. I had prior played with a Baraka Slayer (genderless race). Do I hate seeing curves? Of course not - I can't help my male craves! Still, it is not a driving focus for me to choose crude over prude - that is mainly a financial thing.

GluttonyDo you have a game backlog of unfinished games but still buy new games regardless? Why or why not?
I've seen responses to this kind of question in the past from others, and many seem to talk about how they have hundreds of unfinished (or unstarted) games in their Steam library. In my case, whether it's a blessing or a curse, my backlog is much smaller. As I kind of mentioned in the previous question, my current financial status keeps me from spending much on games. Generally, unless I have a gift card or something along those lines, I won't be buying any new games to add to my list.

This is a driving force to me playing MMOs, especially those in the F2P market. These kinds of games have constant additions of content, and are nearly impossible to truly "finish."

GreedDo you enjoy hand outs in a game? Have you ever opted to NOT do an action / in game activity because the rewards were lacking? Why or why not?
If this is referring to a hand out by the developers/game itself, then as long as I have inventory space, I'd likely accept it, even if it entices doing an activity I'd likely not do. Take in case LOTRO, where they will occasionally run a Hobnanigans event - basically field hockey with chickens as the ball. It was fine to play the first time it came out, but has since not coaxed me to bother playing it since (this goes for many players, it seems). The game entices the player with a travel map to the location every time they log in/level up. This results in a hefty amount of maps by the time the event finishes, and at 7 copper selling price per map, I could make a whole silver-ton of coin! /sarcasm

If this is talking about a player hand out, I generally keep myself self-sufficient in MMOs, and generally do not accept them (not out of principle, but out of lack-of-need).

SlothDo you ever leech or AFK in a party? Do you discourage others from attempting things that you feel are difficult? Have you ever seen someone that needed help, but decided not to help them? Why or why not?
No, I can't think of a case where I have intentionally went AFK with the means to leech from others. I have had to go AFK while in a party, but that was mainly for /bio reasons, and it'd just be a break for the party.

I'm generally not a heavy party player. If somebody needs help with something, and I have both the ability and time to assist them with that task, sure I'll give them a hand. If I don't help them out, it's generally either because I simply don't have the time to assist, or perhaps the situation is unique that I know the player is a bit of a ruffian. I'm not out to help the jerks, but that would generally be a very small portion of that game population.

WrathEver get angry at other players and yell (or TYPE IN CAPS) at them? Have you ever been so angry to stalk a person around in game and / or in the forums? Why or why not?
This is a simple and straight-forward one - nope. I rarely get angry or upset in a game/MMO, and even if there is a brief moment of frowny-face, I wouldn't let that spill out into chat/voice.

EnvyEver felt jealous of players who seem to be able to complete content you can’t? Do you ever suspect they are hacking or otherwise cheating? Why or why not?
Admittedly, sure I'll feel jealous at times that my "end-game" is a bit lacking. I can get myself to max level, but my general sense is that it was the journey that took me there, not what I expect to find at the "finish line." I do tend to try and inspect or check out the kinds of gear that some can attain, and compare them to what I have at the time. Perhaps this causes a bit of drool to slip from the corners of my mouth - you caught me. I don't take end-game all that seriously, so I do not generally make a habit of trying much of it out (unless I have friends with whom to try it out).

Do I think they are cheating? Nah, I tend to think the best of people, so I generally won't raise an eye unless there is some kind of evidence pointing to an obvious exploit at hand.

PrideAre you one of those people that demands grouping with other “elite” players? Do you kick players out of your team who you feel are under-performing? Why or why not?
Nah...doesn't matter to me. I don't group up much, and as long as it looks like the party members are doing something, all G to me. If they are under-performing because they don't know the mechanics (and I do), I'll do my best to steer them the right way. Gotta start somewhere...
_____________________________________________________

Well, I guess that wraps it up. Even if I only ended up doing two of the four Challenge prompts, they were both a good time. Thanks to those who came up with these ideas, and to the NBI for incubating us new and wayward bloggers into meeting other interesting and fun bloggers. Hopefully I continue to keep up with the casual blogging, and not let it go wayward...again. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment